Snö™ Dental Exams
The exam is the most important foundation for everything you decide regarding your health. To start treatment without knowing your full status is like renovating a house without knowing what’s in the ground or inside the walls. To superficially paint over a water leakage in an apartment is just as bad as doing a filling or a crown without a proper exam. In the end, it could be very costly for you.
A proper exam is imperative if you want real quality care for the best price
An exam should always be documented so it can be transferred and understood by another dentist. This is a very important step for two reasons: to ensure you always get the best treatment, and to allow you to audit the treatment. At Snö, this is imperatively part of our core value of ‘Trust’, which ensures we are always fully transparent and auditable.
The comprehensive Snö™ exam includes:
- An oral examination, where the dentist inspects your mouth visually to identify signs of caries, broken fillings, misaligned or worn teeth, gum infections, possible tumours or any other concerns you may have.
- A full 360 degree teeth scanning that documents the status of your mouth in full colour detail along with a 3D model. This allows us to give you the correct prognoses and helps you better understand your dental health status. It is also a snapshot of your mouth that you can refer to later and see how your dental health has developed. The scan will give you a clear picture of the before and after effects of restorative or aesthetic treatments at Snö, so you can later audit and quality control our work. The scan can also be used to see even the smallest changes in your mouth in order to prevent malfunction and wear. Sometimes we use intraoral and extraoral cameras for imaging during cosmetic consultations.We store your 3D scans, so if you have an accident, we can easily recreate what might have been broken.
Scanning has replaced most of the old, uncomfortable impression materials. In two minutes we can have a 3D model of your teeth. We use market leaders 3Shape (from Denmark) and Planmeca (from Finland) scanners.
- A standard periodontal charting will document the state of your gum tissue and identify inflammations, deep perio pockets, infections or loss of supporting bone. In case we spot issues, a full periodontal charting will be performed at no extra cost to you.
This is an example of a thorough charting of a patient’s periodontal status as done at Snö. Regular charting is essential to monitor the development of a patient’s condition, both for treatment purposes and prophylaxis. Your dentist will provide you with this information, and explain the details in case you decide to change dentists, or if you just want a second opinion at another clinic.
- X-rays are very useful and often necessary to give high quality care. At Snö they are always taken on a case-by-case basis. In some cases, it is not needed, and in others, absolutely necessary. A full set of intraoral x-rays is often taken to identify caries, supporting bone, infections under the gum line and positions of impacted or wisdom teeth. We use the latest digital x-ray technology from Planmeca with minimal radiation levels. However, for patients that cannot be exposed even to very low doses of radiation, we have an alternative method to spot caries and other tooth issues (DiagnoCam, see below).
- A panoramic x-ray will show the positions of all teeth relative to each other, non-erupted wisdom teeth and the position of jaws and roots. This will also help us identify any missing teeth or changes in the bone structure.
At Snö we also provide low dose 3D x-ray (cone beam) from Planmeca. For some treatments like implants, this exam is included in the price. 3D x-ray is the absolute latest technique and makes diagnosis and treatment much safer.
- Caries detection can sometimes be complemented with infrared light/camera equipment. The DiagnoCam can be used to find caries without the need for many x-rays. A laser light and a specially designed camera can see through the tooth and detect specific types of caries.
The Snö team has your holistic dental health and beauty in mind. The initial exam and regular follow-ups are needed as a strong and solid foundation of our dental work. We care about your long-term dental health, which is why we include all of these procedures in our exam – all included in the price. We will ensure that every exam is carried out thoroughly and carefully. Once completed, the results are yours to keep, physically, and on your mobile device.
If you visit us for an emergency, eg tooth pain, the exam could be shorter and more focused on the current problem. After this you can decide whether you would like to continue treatments at our clinic or just have the full documentation from your visit to take to your preferred clinic or for a second opinion.