Michaela started her career as a Dental Hygienist in South Africa where she worked alongside one of South Africa’s prominent orthodontists. Working closely with the orthodontics team allowed her to incorporate orthodontic considerations and understand the pivotal role dental hygiene plays in the success and outcomes of orthodontic treatment. Her role as the dental hygienist in orthodontics, as it is a key and important one! From education to assessment, to supportive therapies during orthodontic treatment and maintaining oral health, Michaela has a unique and frequent opportunity to impact her patients’ oral health while they undergo orthodontic treatment.
As she carefully cleans patients’ teeth, Michaela, who is frequently complimented on her “soft hands,” helps them maintain proper dental hygiene. She takes pleasure in working with patients of various ages and socioeconomic statuses and makes sure their sessions are not only fun but also educational.
Spoken Languages: English, Afrikaans
Nationality: South African
DOH License: Dental Hygienist
Years of Experience: 08
Michaela grew up in the Northern Cape of South Africa along the coastline and graduated with a Bachelor of Oral Hygiene, from the University of Pretoria, in 2015. She then went on to work in a private clinic and volunteer in community service projects.
During this period, she worked closely with special needs and handicapped children. When she is not working, she enjoys cooking and baking while listening to good music.
- Bachelor of Oral Hygiene, University of Pretoria, South Africa
- Oral Hygiene Association of South Africa, OHASA
- Dental Hygienist, Dr van Niekerk, Pretoria, South Africa
- Dental Hygienist, Stabelberg Orthodontics, Nelspruit, South Africa
- Dental Hygienist, Dr Nicolas & Asp, Dubai UAE
CLINICAL EXPERTISE AND SERVICES OFFERED:
- Daily oral hygiene methods and strategies specific to the orthodontic patient
- Clinical interventions to maintain health during orthodontic therapy
- Patient education on tooth movement sciences
- Post-orthodontic considerations
- Pre-orthodontic therapies
- Whitening/ bleaching
- Occlusal assessment
- Scale and polish/ prophylaxis