Children and Orthodontics
While orthodontic treatment often begins between the ages of 9 and 14,some children’s orthodontic problems can beneﬁt from earlier treatment. If your child does need help, a check-up no later than age 7 will help our orthodontist provide the most appropriate orthodontic treatment in Abu Dhabi, if any.
Signs that indicate the need for an orthodontic consult:
- Difficulty in chewing or biting
- Breathing through the mouth
- Early or late loss of baby teeth
- Crowded, misplaces or blocked-out teeth
- Protruding teeth
- Jaws that are too far forward or back
- Biting the cheek or biting into the roof of the mouth
- Upper and lower teeth that do not fit well together
- An unbalanced facial appearance
- Grinding or clenching of the teeth
At Snö, we will never over treat you or your children. However, when it comes to kids’ orthodontics, it is particularly important to ﬁnd out what is essential for health and function, and what is necessary for aesthetics. This is particularly important when misalignments are concerned, as they often improve as children grow. Removing teeth when it is not needed can often lead to severe orthodontic problems later on, thus highlighting the importance of visiting an orthodontist prior to any procedures.
If it appears that your child will need treatment at some point, your orthodontist can advise you about the best time to begin.
If early treatment is indicated, it can give your orthodontist the chance to:
- Guide jaw growth
- Lower the risk of trauma to protruded front teeth
- Correct harmful oral habits
- Improve appearance and self-esteem
- Guide permanent teeth into a more favorable position
- Improve the way lips meet
Not everyone needs orthodontic treatment. However, if your child does need help, a check-up no later than age 7 will help your orthodontist provide the most appropriate treatment at the most appropriate time.